Park Info

Genesee County Park and Forest

11095 Bethany Center Road,

East Bethany NY, 14054

N 42 52.551

W 78 07.654

The Genesee County Park and Forest, which attracts thousands of visitors each year, was established in 1915 and is recognized as the oldest County Forest in New York State.  The land was originally purchased in 1882 in order to supply wood to the County Poor House for cooking and heating.  The County Forest was created through the efforts of George Fleming, the County Home Superintendent, who initiated the planting of 31,00 trees.  During the 1920’s New York State assisted in providing the evergreens and the manpower to plant additional trees.  By 1935 over 169,000 trees had been planted.  In 1971 the County Legislature appointed the first full-time Park Supervisor-Forester, and designated the area as the Genesee County Park and Forest.  Since then the Park and Forest has evolved through the efforts of many community groups and organizations, including the ACORNS. Today visitors can enjoy 431 acres of forested rolling hills, which includes over 12 miles of groomed trails, five ponds, 2 toboggan hills, a 4-acre wetland, a variety of birds and animals, various species of trees and woodland plants – all located in the Black Creek Watershed. The park is ideal for snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, hiking, fishing, bird-watching, or just for picnics. There are numerous pavilions located throughout the park and these are available for picnics and parties, most with access to playsets and recreation areas. Reservations are required (visit the park website or call 585-344-8508.

Dewitt Recreation Area

115 Cedar Street

Batavia NY

N 42 59,429

W78 09.773


The DeWitt Recreation Area is a county park managed and maintained by the Genesee County Department of Parks, Recreation and Forestry.  The park was originally used as a gravel quarry which provided sand and gravel to the New York Central Railroad during construction of the many rail lines built in Genesee County.  Known locally as the “Sandwash” after it was abandoned as a quarry in the late 1970’s, the land was then donated to the county by the B.R. DeWitt Company, to be used as a family recreation area.  

Today the park features a 38 acre lake which is stocked by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation with brown trout.  The lake is circled by a 1 mile groomed trail with naturalized areas for viewing wildlife.  The Ellicott Trail runs along part of the park trail.  There are 3 picnic shelters (to reserve a shelter, call 585-344-8508 or visit the park website), a large playground, a fishing platform, and a boat launch for kayaks and canoes.  There is even an automated kiosk where you can rent kayaks and equipment hourly.